Thursday, January 27, 2011

Another Great Pantry/Freezer Challenge Recipe

Throughout the month of January, I have been focusing on using up ingredients in our pantry and freezer and making some creative and easy recipes instead of spending additional money at the grocery store. Last night I made a great dish of chicken, artichoke, and spinach penne pasta. Here was my ingredient list:
  • frozen chicken tenders (thawed and cut into one inch pieces and browned in the pan)
  • half a bag of frozen chopped spinach
  • half a jar of artichoke hearts
  • box of penne pasta
  • jar of alfredo sauce
  • parmesan cheese (the kind in the green can)
I cooked the pasta and set aside and then in the same pan that I browned the chicken, I added the jar of alfredo sauce, the chopped artichoke hearts, and the frozen spinach. Let everything come to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Then serve your sauce over penne pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. This dish made dinner for me and my husband and 4 containers of leftovers! That is a ton of food and the best part was that I had everything in the house to make this recipe. My original goal for the month of January was to spend less than $150 on groceries and instead use what we have in the house, and so far I have only spent $103.67 on groceries and the month is almost over. Hope you try to create a new recipe in your house, using what you have on hand in the pantry or freezer. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment