Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Book Recap - Survival in Auschwitz

I just finished reading the current book club selection, Survival in Auschwitz, and I must admit it was a tough read. Anytime you read a book based on a horrific historical event, it is a risk on whether the book will be dark and dreary or have a story intertwined with a happy ending. Anytime I read about the holocaust and the conditions prisoners endured, my heart aches for them. It reminds me that no matter how bad a day we can have now, it doesn't even come close to comparing to the heartache and struggle that these prisoners faced in Auschwitz. I am also reminded of my grandparents story of surviving the war and making a new life for themselves in our great country. This book was hard to read and not one I would recommend, but I always appreciate a story that teaches me to be grateful for my own life and all of the blessings I have. 

Tomorrow night is book club and I am hosting the gals at my house. I plan on making one of my favorite party recipes, Cheesy Artichoke Cups. These wonton cups are filled with artichoke hearts, cheese, garlic, and red bell pepper and are so delicious! You must make these for your next party or family get together. I always look forward to seeing the book club girls and look forward to choosing our next book selection. I will post our next selection on Friday... Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment