Friday, January 18, 2013

Must Read Books for New Parents

Parenting can be tough... the nights can be long, the days unpredictable, and the emotions of it all can by trying. Over the past two months I have found two books that have been an amazing resource and comfort as I ventured in this new world of being a mommy. Reading has always given me comfort and during the tough days and nights, these books have helped provide me with advice and even just a good laugh.

The first book, Happiest Baby on the Block, was recommended by our pediatrician at our first appointment for Olivia. 
This book has explained the first few months of a baby's life as the 4th trimester and has really emphasized creating an environment for Olivia that mimics what she experienced in my womb. I have learned a lot from this book on how swaddling can help her sleep, making the shushing sounds can calm her down, and bouncing her while holding her can help her fall asleep. Every new mom should have this book in her toolbox!

This next book, It Sucked and Then I Cried, I stumbled upon while searching iBooks when Olivia was just a few weeks old. 
I loved reading the sample of the book and ended up buying the book and reading it on my iPhone during lots of pumping sessions and middle of the night feedings. The author of this book was by far the most candid I have heard and she wrote about motherhood in an honest and humorous way. I appreciated how honest she was about the difficult challenges of motherhood and the emotional highs and lows that come with having a baby. Each time I read a chapter, I felt like the author was cheering me on during the tough days and helping me laugh and seeing the humor in babies. I love this book for being so candid and bringing a smile to my very much sleep deprived face.

Motherhood has so many emotions that range from pure and complete joy to sleep deprived frustration and tears. But the beautiful thing about life is that these emotions are teaching me valuable lessons as Olivia's mommy. I cherish all of her good moments including her smiles and sweet sleeping face while also taking in stride her fussiness and crying. Reading these books has helped to give me perspective on how the days can be good or not so good, but overall they are a blessing because I get to spend them with my sweet daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment