Friday, November 9, 2012

New Book Club Selection - Origin

Book Club last night was great yet again and it was fun to hang out with the book club group and discuss the book The Dog Stars. A few of us did not enjoy the book while a couple of other ladies really loved it. Each time we review and discuss a book and have approvals/disapprovals, it reminds me that each book lands differently on each reader. Some books we will love and some we will not enjoy at all and sometimes, that is half the fun in seeing what everyone else thought. It was great to discuss the book even though I did not enjoy reading it.


Our next book club selection is Origin by Jessica Khoury and here is a short summary of the book:
  • An electrifying action-romance that's as thoughtful as it is tragic. Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home—and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life. Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin—a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever. Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost.
This book was recommended by one of my girlfriends that works at the library and she is usually the reader that challenges us to try something different. This book is never one that I would have picked up on my own, which is one of the reasons I love book club... it challenges me to read books that I might have never had the chance to experience.

I am not sure how much time I will have for reading in the coming weeks, but I do hope to dive into this book soon and see if I enjoy it... I might be surprised. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment